Date(s) - 15/11/2018
10:00 am - 4:30 pm
Categories No Categories
In this one-day course we will explore Web Mapping and show you how to use a variety of different tools to display and communicate spatial information We will have a recap of the basics of spatial data and focus on how we get a variety of different types of data into web mapping platforms We will review some of the different platforms available and spend most of the time looking at the MapBox platform.
No experience of using spatial data is needed for this course, but some experience would be beneficial.
No experience of coding is needed for this course.
- Understand the different web mapping platforms available
- Know the different advantages and disadvantages of web mapping
- be able to import data into a MapBox web map and host this on a website
- be able to customise the data and basemap styling to suit their requirements
- Understand the pricing structures of different web mapping platforms
Outline of the day
- 9:50am – 10:00am – Registration and Refreshments
- 10:00am – 10:20am – What is Spatial Data?
- 10:20am – 10:45am – What is a Web Map?
- 10:45am – 11:15am – Practical 1: Spatial Data and Google Fusion Tables
- 11:15am – 11:45am – How do we customise our web map?
- 11:45am – 12:30pm – Practical 2: MapBox
- 12:30pm – 1:30pm – Lunch
- 1:30pm – 1:45pm – Recap and other Web Mapping Platforms
- 1:45pm – 3:00pm – Practical 3: customising MapBox
- 3:00pm – 3:15pm – Tea/Coffee
- 3:15pm – 4:00pm/4:30pm – Practical 4: Using your own data and other platforms
Please note this course can be taken as a one-day course, or can also be taken in conjunction with another one-day course on 16th November 2018 (Using spatial data from Social Media).
Please email email@example.com for more information.
£60 – UK registered students
£100 – staff at UK academic institutions and research centres, UK-registered charity and voluntary organisations, staff in public sector and government
£300 – all other participants including staff from commercial organisations
All fees include event materials, lunch, morning and afternoon tea. They do not include travel and accommodation costs.
Numbers on the course are limited and allocated on a first come, first served basis.
Participants will need to bring their own laptops. You will need a web browser (Chrome or Firefox) and a working installation of QGIS (http://www.qgis.org). You will also find a mouse very useful for working with some of the spatial data.